|Tunnel Boring Machine|
- The TBM (currently under Paddington) is almost at the point at which it needs to make the sharp turn - decisions would need to be made quickly.
- Can TBMs even make a sharp enough turn? BrizCommuter would hope that the tunnel engineers have thought of this!
- It would delay the opening of Legacy Way by up to a year, with resulting financial implications to that project.
- CRR is still awaiting Federal Funding.
- The design of CRR is based on twin, single track tunnels instead of a single, twin track tunnel as would occur if dug by "Annabell". However, if CRR has not reached detailed design stage, this may not be a major issue...
- ..., but is the design mature enough to start tunnelling almost straight away? The 12.5 diameter tunnels may require a different vertical alignment than originally planned due to the larger diameter TBM having to avoid other underground structures.
The unfortunate reality, is that with the multiple layers of government, bureaucracy, and a "half-baked" attitude towards infrastructure projects in Queensland, this potentially good idea is highly unlikely to happen.