- Brisbane's cross river train tunnel (Cross River Rail/BaT Tunnel).
- Melbourne's Metro Rail Project.
- Gold Coast Light Rail extensions.
- Adelaide rail network electrification.
Unfortunately, Australia's budgie smuggler wearing, misogynist, homophobic prime minister Tony Abbott refuses to fund public transport infrastructure projects from federal funds. This stuck in the 1950s policy, makes Australia look backwards compared to pretty much every other developed country in the world which is now investing in public transport over roads. Whilst road spending is still important, there have been many studies shown that investing in urban road infrastructure does not resolve congestion.
So why does Tony Abbott have such a hatred for trains?
- Was it due to their being no Thomas the Tank engine and Friends character being called Tony?
- Was he teased at school for having a train set instead of a Scalextric?
- Is he worried that asylum seekers or gays might come into the country via train?
- Is he worried that trains could have female drivers?
- Will the oil companies help fund his retirement?
- Is it due to lack of income to the LNP from companies involved in public transport?
- Or is he just an idiot stuck with 50 years out of date policies?
There is little question that unless Tony Abbott has a policy U-turn on federal funding for public transport, then he will be crippling Australian cities economically and environmentally for decades to come.